This article only applies to paywalled papers. For all free or open-access papers, you will be able to access them without needing a library account from your affiliated institution. Using institutional access will allow you to have access to all the journals that your institution is subscribed to. Here, we will be using the institution, “University of British Columbia”, as an example. If your institution has 2-Factor Authentication implemented, please check out our FAQ guide on it here. If you are looking for the Read Mobile App version of this FAQ article, click here.
There are two accounts that you use to get the most out of Read by QxMD:
- QxMD account - you use this to login to Read by QxMD to get personalized content, access to latest medical research, and more!
- Library account - this is what we use behind the scenes to help you get access to your library’s online resources and journal subscriptions. If you can’t login to your library account, please contact your librarian.
The web version of Read currently does not have automatic login for institutional access. To access paywalled papers, you’ll have to manually login to your library when prompted.
- On the main page of Read by QxMD, hover over where it says your name near the top right corner. This will prompt a pop-up with several options. Choose Change my institution.
- On the Change my institution page, change your institution, in this case, to "University of British Columbia" and click Save.
- Go to the article that you'd like to read and hover over where it says Read this article. This will prompt several options to pop-up. Here we will press the option for FULL TEXT.
- Each institution has their own login page. Based on your institution, you will either be taken directly to the login page, or you will have to click through a few options to get to the login page. In this case, for the University of British Columbia, the page is called CWL, and we'll have to click an additional Login button to get to the login page.
- This will take you to your institution's login page, where you will need to enter the credentials you use to access your institution's library (library login).
- Once you've entered the correct credentials, the page will load the full-text for the article you are trying to access. Congratulations, you're all set!
Note: If you’re having trouble logging into your library, please contact your library directly as we do not have the authorization to help manage your library account information.